Sunday, February 24, 2008

hobby research page ranking == degree



Hi - Here is one I came up with to night. I know I've always been quite dismissive of that paper on page ranking ( the kind google does to figure out how to rate things) in the GIS journal as a cheap way to do a naff syntax rip-off with out referencing the social logic of space. I basically assumed that the page ranking algorithm would produce the same kinds of output as integration or at possibly choice (sounds choicy when you here the algorithm). 
I was reading a new book on collective intelligence which explained the google page ranking algorithm and was curious enough to put it into webmap at home.  Doing this I was disappointed to find that page rank correlates well with (0.95) with connectivity / control and very badly integration(0.35)choice(0.77)/movement. 

This might not be true for small world graphs ( which axial maps are not). 

Thought I would include map of Barnsbury for your amusement. 

No comments: