Thursday, September 25, 2014

Our isolated lives

The nightmare which is known as CHI now over. I've been recovering and thinking about what to do next. Naturally it's easy to start looking at all the negatives of technology and wondering what can be done about them.

One of the things that struck me was how isolating modern technology makes us. We no longer stand at the bus stop and potentially strike up a conversation with the familiar co-traveler. I regularly sit on the train and just stare at the laptop Along with most of my fellow passengers. It seems that modern technology that seems to that promised how much we would be connected seems to be disconnecting us from each other.

Cultural analyst Sherry Turtle is very good TED talk about this.
http://www.ted.com/talks/sherry_turkle_alone_together?language=en

Then is see this ...


and I think ho - hum. 

No comments: