Monday, November 9, 2009

Microsft reinvent ZUI and lots of other things from 20 years ago.

Came across this link to a Microsoft demo.

  • Naturally there are bits I like and bits I don't.
  • So pen input - fairly normal even the mac has stroke to text.
  • The zoomable interface I like a lot but I would say that wouldn't I?
  • I like the notion of zoom able searching ( get more back)
  • The selection through eye tracking is again fairly old ( cute how the guy writing the blog is fairly excited by this). The big problem is that the eye cascades over the interface quite quickly. If something on the screen moves ( like the animated icon opening ) then you get the eye moving toward it. It must take a lot of blinkered self control to do this part of the demo.Given your motor vision and the eye movement are separate why not just let it grow under the finger/mouse.
  • Speech recognition -again fairly old - I saw this in 1994? this has the same problem as any command line interface, you have to remember the command.
  • Now you could use eye tracking as part of the emotion interface (the machine sees what are you looking at - why not start to load plain links before you look at them?) . Its also useful for the computer to know if you are looking at it ( use a audible alert to get your attention if your not).
  • I do like the flexible interfaces and the glass interface.
  • the gesturing looks fu. Again your don't want to do this more than occasionally with out getting gorilla arms ( remember I did VR research )

No comments: