Monday, December 21, 2009

Ill musings

Hi - I'm sitting at home feeling a bit crap. I had a cold this weekend and looking after kids when your feeling low is one of the outer rings of hell.

So I'm does up in bed and checked out Slashdot where there is a entry on what would happen if Facebook switchted from PHP to C as programming language of choice. What I thought was curious was that most of the comments began to talk about the 'speed' of PHP against C then comment on the ease of development of PHP against C++. Talk about Splughing.

I've talked at length about creating a new language based on C/C++ but removing things like buffer over runs (forbidding binaries with gets). But the C code would be embedded into the HTML code. Like this


[%C println("HELLO WORLD") ; %C]



Naturally there would be extensions for doing basic operations ( in built hashes? Strings, pattern matching ? ) and talking to Msql and so on. There would be a new stage where the code would have to be compiled into a binary with the HTML embedded.

I think what is most interesting about PHP/ASP and so on is that the languages appear to work because they embed code with HTML ( presentation) which is against the general separation of presentation and operation.

I think I've talked about this before but I'm so short of time I don't think I could create 'Green' quickly.

No comments: