Monday, February 3, 2014

Learning improvisation

One item which emerged from a PHD tutorial recently was this article on the BBC website about neuroscience and learning.

The basic argument was that people could use more dopamine when facing uncertain rewards. That is if you give out points for people remembering items in a lesson then they will remember more if they get uncertain rewards. I think my idea was that one of the reasons people like the act of improvisation was that they get more rewards from the uncertainty of the outcomes of improvisation. This was primarily improvisation in a musical context but I was struck by how much people like the freedom to improvise their own kinds of methods of winning computer games. Indeed this seems to be late well to the notions of flow. 

In flow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology) there must be clear objectives and signs of progress, clear and immediate payback and good balance between perceived challenges and perceived skills. "One must have confidence that he or she is capable of doing the task at hand". So it seems to me that the pleasures of musical improvisation may be related to the notion of flow. I can relate to this strongly as I frequently get strong 'flow' while programming. I would posit that what people get on free improvisation is the same kind of physical reward that one gets from flow.


No comments: