Thursday, February 21, 2013

DigitalTrompe-l'œil ( the experiment).



I've caught my self thinking about Trompe-l'œil again. Might be to do with the TVprogram on the Baroque I'm watching.

I have a curiosity about creating space in confined spaces - such as spacecraft on its way to Mars or a Japanese apartment. I wonder about the consensual  manipulation the sense of 'space' to make a smaller space 'feel' like a bigger one.

I can't help but think that if you tracked a head you could give the impression when looking at a screen of looking through a 'window' or portal into open space.

The experiment I propose is that the experimenter creates a 3D scene of enough complexity. 
Participants enter the space. half are in a 'static' space and the other half are in a head tracking version 
of the same 'projection'. By tracking the head ( and so eyes) the user is presented with a moving 
Version of the same space. The notion is that this makes the sense of 3D stronger. 

We get people to then report how big they think the space is. Either you get some kind of measurable effect (or
not) which would show up as a change in the average size people report the space as.
 Should also get effects on some kind of scale of roomy...to.... Confined. 

Might be interesting (if tricky ) to work with people with claustrophobia who are sensative to
 small confined spaces. 


No comments: