Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My job in simple words.


Can you explain your research using only the most used 1000 words ? 

Mine was

My work is the world of tomorrow.  My work is to help people become more able, to have stronger ideas, have stronger minds,  stronger memories, stronger voices. I do this through the use of computers. I think about how  humans talk to  computers. The computers of tomorrow will not be on your desk. They will not always use words to talk to you. You will have more than your finger to point at things.  I wonder about how we go about doing that. I like to make up a questions which ask why people find things on computers hard to use.To do this  I put computers into things like floors, walls, chairs, cups, things from the everyday world. My computers hide in things and watching us move them and they learn to work with people.

[ Translation I do human computer interaction research specifically ubicomp research ]


Others and I made some art stuff from 24 hanging balls ,   it shows people how many people use the stairs and how many use lifts. The plan was to see if we could use things and pictures to change peoples minds.   
We don't have computers to help people work together when they are in the same room. I have also looked at how people use a table made from computers and lights to help think about this. 

[ transation we built a ambient display sculpture to see if we could effect peoples behaviour regarding stair useage

My student and I  made a shop where lights hid under bottles of red drink. The table would change the color of a light under a bottle to show how liked a drink was. If some one picked up a bottle the lights would show which drinks other people picked who liked that drink.  This is about taking good things from on line book shops and putting them in a real shop.

[ Transation - Phd student Gonzalo built a ambient recommender in to a wine shop ]  

My next work will look at helping people to wonder around large hard to go places and stop them getting lost. People who go to hospitals and other big places like that  can get lost easily. I want to ask about how to we get lost, how do we think about getting lost, what to we mean about hard to find our way? This both in the world of the real and the world inside the computer. Is getting lost in a computer just something we say or is it real getting lost?

[ translation - This year I'm looking at how we navigate from a ubicomp perspective ]

I also talk about people who can not read and write like me, or people who can not read faces, or people who can not sit still. They say they are not sick,  they are not wrong, they have good points. They can be strong but we only give money to doctors to find sick things  people have. They  not to look to find good things about these people.  I wonder what happens if we try to look at people's good points. How do we  go about making things for these people.

[ translation - I'm intreasted in neurodiversity, I have a number of nuerodiverse students  ]

I always need people to play on my things I make, this helps me learn how people use things and what is wrong with them ( the things that is).
[ Translation - I always need people for my experiments ]
[ Try it your self at ]

http://splasho.com/blog/2013/01/17/a-bit-more-about-the-up-goer-five-text-editor/

No comments: