Wednesday, February 27, 2013

MYO - The Gesture Control Armband

MYO - The Gesture Control Armband



Top marks for a cool video. 

Our lab has spent a fair amount of time developing our own arm bands to do things like help teach kids how to play violin properly.  My mind has strayed on to alternative uses for interaction ( the ultimate remote control). The ability to identify a number of finger movements would give the band a wide vocabulary but then your back to the basic problem of all command line driven programs - you have to remember the commands or not have them. 

I guess if they got popular they would be socially learned ( you see other people doing a gesture and remember how to do it). I think the main problem is that I would see them as a pervasive interface - you use your in air gestures to control many in devices in the environment. This works with Bluetooth ( cable replacement) so you have to 'pair up' with the thing your controlling. 

For the moment we are going to stick with our home brew gear. One thing we found important is vibrotactile feedback (band vibrates to tell you something). 

I guess I am in love with the near magical way you can control something with your hand/fingers. Like Arthur C. Clark said technology will eventually evolve to be magic. 

Ps its my Brithday on the 9th of March - MYO's pre-orders accepted. 


No comments: