Thursday, June 17, 2010

A fairly rubbish day

There isn't any one I can talk to about things at work so I'm going to moan into the blog instead.
Not a hot couple of days at the moment. Firstly I lost the EPSRC application which I can take. Today got to be a low moment I sat in a course meeting and had all my questions rejected outright.

Basically I try to make the questions interesting and informative open out the rather dull matter of the course and nod towards some of the more interesting digital stuff. The stuff that rather excited me when I was learning about computing. I have this great book called the  Armchair Universe which was  A collection of A.K. Dewdney's columns from "Scientific American" which was my inspiration. So I have questions about cellular automata. When I was learning about computing I had great building magazines like Byte which we are now long gone.

Any way I was told that having questions with Steve Wolfram in the preamble was scaring the potential students into thinking the question was harder than they actually where. Basically the pre-amble was putting the course team off and I was told  I should make the questions less 'computery'

Yeah I found it ironic too.

I know this is all for the best but I keep working and getting the work thrown away. It doesn't play well to the dyslexic in me.

Still what doesn't kill you only makes me stronger ( I don't hear anyone trying to kick me off the course).

No comments: