Friday, May 20, 2011

Idear of the day - bring back the command line!

Thinking about the Newton/Iphone I realised I liked the command line interface it had 
( Dinner John thursday ) ( remember milk ) 


If you could build an interface that was really really quick where basically you did a command key combination then it would send up a message box where you could type 


dinner John Thursday


The system would be smart enough to guess who John was  ( from your contacts [and your facebook links] ) or it would produce a list of best guesses. It would vaguely know when dinner was and then produce a dialog box ( which might prompt for more info). 


I guess like Google it would have a good guess for miss typed commands (dinjer with jon - did you mean dinner with john Grady today at 6:00 ? ). 


The idea would be to collect a number of things in the same interface. 
Remind Ruth about milk 
sets up an email with a template 
Hi Ruth, I thought I would just take this opportunity to remind you about milk. 
Thanks ... )



where as 
Remind me milk
might set up an alarm 


Tell Ruth late 
Sets up and email to ruth saying I am late. 
Phone ruth


The idea is to keep lots of stuff which might cause you to switch contexts. I've looked at quicksilver on the mac but its more of a better finder than anything.


The whole thing would have to be fast enough to stop you context switching with an interruption.

No comments: