Tuesday, April 7, 2009

more from chi

Listened to Tom R and Co try to differentiate Ethnomethodology i.e. Ethnography. It really raised my awareness but I reflected and realised that what I and many people need is the exact opposite of Ethnography. I like the commercial bias if Ethnography, you want to sell to a particular crowd in a particular region so you take an Ethnographic approach and find problems which you then solve with your technology. This assumes you know your client group up front and you know the solution.

So what I need is the reverse - I have a solution and I need to find a group with that problem. Specifically at the moment I need people who need to collaborate over a table. This is not just me many people who have innovated new technologies are looking for the right target group and much of the inputs are driving them.

Problem is there are infinitely many problems with out solutions. Frequently with technology it is the technology with a solution which creates the question ( the problems). For me this is the basis for engineering/computing research.

No comments: