Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Space and Place part 2

I've been reading a paper by Paul D about space and place ten years on. I need to re-read the original but the basis seemed that Space was also a social construct. That is the geometric concept of space is based on maths and maths is a social construct so everything is social construct really.

I think the problem I have with this is that when people talk about this is a social construct and that is a social construct there is this implicit assumption that everything is equal. As an example I heard someone on the radio saying that science has narratives and literature has narratives and all the impression was that fundamentally everything is a narrative and implicitly all one narrative is no better or more authoritative than another. I really find this as slipshod thinking, not all narratives are equal and not all social constructs are equal.

Equally not all social constructs are created equal.

I have a similar disquiet about the idea of the interrelation between things. I can understand this in graph theoretic terms everything is interconnected you can find links from everything to everything else, but I'm not sure that you have to understand everything to understand something.

On the plus side I did like the idea about top down is planning/design and bottom up is adoption/appropriation.

Lets see what T says about it.

No comments: