Wednesday, October 7, 2009

QRCodes

I was chatting with Mike and mentioned I fancied building an erring or broach on Ponoko which would be an engraved with a QRCode.

I thought I could use a processing library but it turns out the library needs a perfect image. I couldn't find an Mac application that worked but I've down loaded an iPHone application that looks OK ( works against the screen)

I've found to problem which is the image has to be the quite big. I wanted something which could capture an image of a face ( + earrings/ broach ) then pull out the image in much worse conditions. i.e something like a party picture or an image you might grab of someone.

OK so two problems with QRCode firstly it needs to be big secondly its a binary image which is hard to encode as a physical image cut into something. I thought about doing something with rectorvision glyphs. But they are hard to cut too ( the image is bits within bits within bits )

So I've been wondering how difficult it would be to design a low bit rate glyph which only had one body with a number of holes. Perhaps a good masters project except the students never want to do interesting projects.

No comments: