Monday, October 26, 2009

lost weekend

I've been writing a student exercise and began thinking about one writing a single user adventure now titled interactive fiction. The idear was to use hashmaps to represent each room, these would be read in from an xml file.

The things I wanted to do was create an audio game - use speech synthesis to get the text to be read out so you could play it on an iphone or something with your vision else ware.

I was chatting with Ruth and we both agreed the narrative and characterisation and mostly dialog in games is in my experience quite pitiful. So the notion would be to bring this to the centre of the game so you would focus your efforts on it.

So one thing irritates me about interactive fiction it all appears to be written in the first person "You see this, you see that". I thought it would be good do something in the third person ( Lara picks this up, Lara looked round the room to do this).

I think the second thing I liked the look of was introducing a companion who would travel with the main character to get more description out of her/him. In the case of doing a tombraider like interactive fiction I like the notion that someone goes with Lara and they don't get on.
"You want me to jump of this ? are you crazy, do I look insane to you or something".

Looking at the sites on how to write interactive fiction this appears to be a no no - it is thought to interfere with the game begin run by the player.

So looking around and after an excellent wikipedia article on audio games, strong disabled access notion. I'm not against this but I think with mobile audio systems a strongly audio game would be good. Most of the audio games require good use of live stereo sound to get positions.
I checked out the iTunes appstore and after a copy of advent (ure) there is nothing strongly audio game is ( lots of audio in games but nothing audio centric).

http://www.audiogames.net/page.php?pagefile=articles

Ruth and I thought it would be fun to have an augmented reality game where you operated like an adventure but you do this in the real world. So you create an alternative London but set in the spaces of the real one. Naturally you can still walk into any public part but inorder to go from one space to another in the adventure game and get an audio description you have to solve a puzzle(unlock a door, carry an item or something). I quite like this. I guess to be sure of it being interesting I would have to look at a lot of similar augmented reality games. The HCI lit is full of them for some reason.

I should really get on with some proper research but I might come back to this at a later date. No in the end i realised this was too complex for the M255 students to handle.


No comments: