Sunday, February 1, 2009

Experiment disaster

Email I received on Friday. 


This is to confirm that we have discussed the placing of a tripod, computer and projector in the fire exit corridor adjacent to the JLB Server room and lab area, and that, as Fire Warden, I have told you that this area cannot be obstructed in this way and that the items must be removed immediately to create a clear path. This corridor is used by someone in a motorised wheelchair.

 

You are revising the placement of this item and you will remove it from its present location by 5:00pm this evening and you will not replace it there on Monday or thereafter.

 

This is to confirm that I have taken this action as JLB2 ground floor Fire Warden, and that if you wish to negotiate a waiver on the placing of this item in its present location, it can’t be discussed further with me – it must be taken up formally with the Senior H&S staff in the Occupational Health and Safety section of the HR Department to whom I am copying this note.

 

Separately I am concerned at the ‘dazzle’ effect experienced when someone goes through the door which has the projector shining full on it. I regard this as a prima facie breach of H&S – but again, I propose that if it is to remain, you must negotiate a waiver with the central H&S people.

David Clover

No comments: