Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Slow interaction

I a meeting yesterday Yvonne final outlined some more of what she meant by slow interaction ( not slow computing ). I am intrigued by the concept, partly we need to understand the notion of time and interaction. For example somethings need to be done quickly (My latoptop swapped last night as I used two large packages this didn't help my concentration ).  Other things need time for reflection. 

The first application I've come up with is the timed tash bin. This would be a simple application that works like the trashcan mac Icon. Except that when you drag a document on to it you give the document at time to live (1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 1 quarter, end of finance year , 1 year , 2 years , 5 years ).  So then the document has a count down to that point and at that point it deletes completely. 

The reason for this is that people tend to either flush on putting something in or are like me and leave everything in until I need the disk space. The normal mac trash forces you to either make delete to delete or if you have lost stuff and so you don't flush so automatically.  By giving time for recall, consideration and reflection this might be an example of slow computing. 

In fact perhaps this is more about letting your subconscious work on its time scale. 

Naturally this might be more about slow interfaces letting your subconscious work. 


No comments: